Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The New Norm

Women, tell me you know the feeling... The feeling that comes after having babies, hormonal changes, or menopause. Feelings of fear, hoping this is not the new you. Feeling out of control, when you are the one your kids or other people look to to be their rock. Or just being plain frustrated that you can't seem to get it together.

This was me after I had my first child nearly four years ago. It never really got better, but then baby number two came last spring. And things got worse. Hot flashes, cold sweats, mood swings, fatigue, memory problems, exhausted during the day and not sleeping well at night. I could talk for hours about the impact this made on my ability to parent well, to be a good wife, or to even put myself together. Was this what being a mom was going to be like? Was this my new norm that I had to get used to?

I went back and forth for awhile with the idea of postpartum depression. Could this be what was wrong with me? I felt like it was possible, but there just had to be something else going on, too. Like what was causing the depression? The mood swings? I thought, surely this doesn't have to be something I'm stuck with. And if you feel at all like I did, know that there is hope!

Last summer, I heard good things about using essential oils instead of OTC or prescription medications to heal and keep your body healthy. So in November, I invited some friends over and Wendy came to teach us about Young Living essential oils. One of the main topics we covered was hormones and how they can plummet after having kids, or be out of whack just because you're a woman. Many people have issues caused by imbalanced hormones and the first thing doctors try to do is prescribe a birth control pill. The Pill is hormones. So if you are lacking, that should be the answer, right? Not necessarily. The problem with the Pill is that it is a synthetic hormone. It is basically a chemical and our bodies don't know what to do with it. As a result, it can even make the problem worse.

Then I learned about a natural progesterone called Progessence Plus made by Young Living. It's a blend of oils specifically for women. The progesterone is oil extracted from wild yams; and since it comes from a natural source, our bodies know what to do with it. It is recognized as our own and immediately put to work for the good of our body. Accidentally put on a little too much? No problem, your body will use what is needed to maintain healthy levels and process the rest out. This is a huge difference between natural and synthetic. Because our bodies don't recognize the synthetic hormones the same way, all of it gets absorbed and used, whether needed or not. And that is when symptoms can intensify or new problems can occur. This totally explained why I didn't feel myself when I took the Pill years ago.

So I decided to order Progessence Plus. The first night I had it, I followed Wendy's instructions: Rub one drop into your inner wrists, then rub onto pulse points on your neck. The smell itself is simply heavenly. The next morning I felt different. I awoke with energy. I didn't realize I hadn't been sleeping well for years until that morning. I was so well rested; it was amazing. I continued to use one drop each night before bed and the next improvement I saw was my focus, specifically my memory. If you've had this struggle before, you know how "in the clouds" your brain can feel. This was a highly noticeable change. As silly as it may sound, I felt like I was finally capable of keeping up with everyday responsibilities again. It stopped feeling like I was stuck in a knotted maze when I was trying to plan my day. (Not to mention no more hormonal headaches or period cramps!)

This the new me that I am happy to live with. I think every woman could benefit from this. And since it's made such a difference for me, it's hard not to share it :)























1 comment:

  1. Amazing katie! I'm so happy for you. If any of your friends want to learn how to get this oil for themselves, Don't hesitate to ask for a reminder on how they can open their own account. Blessings to you sweet momma! !

    ReplyDelete