Friday, August 1, 2014

I love a good thrill.  Not a scary movie thrill, but an adventure type of thrill.  I've been known to climb abandoned silos with my camera to take pictures of mountains.  On canoeing trips I get excited about white water and steer toward it (I've never tipped my canoe.)  When I lived at home, I used to love taking our dog rollerblading because with her I went so much faster than I could on my own.  Skydiving is on my bucket list.  And I love working in an ER.  Just talking about his has me on edge wanting to do something fun!  Anyway...James and I were at the Grand Canyon six years ago this month and there was this ledge that I just had to climb out on.  I don't recall there being a sign or anything saying you weren't supposed to...I just had to climb over a fence to get there, no biggie.  It was beautiful. I would totally do it again.
And then I had my second child. And he is exactly like me. Silas throws the most dramatic fits about the littlest things. He is a climber and an adventure seeker. Totally different than when Jacob was his age. We have had to buy a gate for the stairs. I take him down from desks, tables, and other furniture multiple times a day, by which he is so confused. If he gets used to these adrenaline rushes this young, he's going to be doing some crazy things in another twenty years.

One of Silas' thrills used to be to see how hard he could rock his high chair. His high chair isn't a stand-alone, it's one that attaches to a regular kitchen chair. And at the time we had a high table with high chairs.  So when he would thrust his body forwards and backwards, I would have to quickly swing my foot over to the bar of his chair and catch him before he would tip himself over. He would respond in one of two ways: frustration for stopping him, or excitement because he felt a little bit of a thrill.  I kind of enjoyed the thrill, too, of catching him at the last second, but I came to the conclusion that it probably wasn't the safest way to operate things.

So I decided to get a different kitchen set. I put it on Craigslist and it sold rather quickly. So I found a different kitchen table and chairs rather quickly.  I tend to not judge anything by its appearance, rather imagine what I can do with it to turn it into what I am looking for. So the set I found wasn't particularly pretty, but I had Pinterest ideas stored up and got to work.  I sanded, primed, and painted until it was done. In the mean time, there were a few nights we had to have dinner as a picnic in the living room. I'm happy how it turned out. And because of the lower style chairs, with the legs being further apart and more angled, Silas cannot tip himself over. It was funny because the very first time we put him in his new chair, that's what he tried to do.





No comments:

Post a Comment