Friday, February 11, 2011

When did I get an 8 month old?

    You don't have to answer the question, I know how it works. I am just amazed daily at how fast Jacob is growing, changing, and discovering. I am so proud of all his little milestones!

  •     Jacob can pull himself up to standing now! He pulls up on just about everything...the entertainment center, couches, chairs, boxes, his tool bench... And the cutest is when he wakes up and I go into his room and he is standing up in his crib smiling and wiggling with excitement for me to pick him up :)
  •     He's learned to wave! Jacob and I were at the mall a couple weeks ago with my sister, Lisa, when someone walked by and looked at Jacob...and he waved! Since then he's been waving all the time. I think he's starting to connect waving with the reason behind...like waving when someone is coming or going. Sometimes he'll wave at James when he's leaving for work. And lately he's been waving at his toys :)
  •     When Jacob eats all of his food I clap my hands and say, "Yay, Jacob!" Now when he finishes and I say it, he claps his hands! He also claps his hands when he's excited about something...like when there's fun music on, when James comes home from work, or when he gets a visit from Aunt Lisa :)
  •     For about one month now, Jacob has been consistently sleeping through the night! When he would wake up I would go to him right away and pick him up (1st mistake). Then he would act like he was starving, so I would feed him (2nd mistake). After he finished eating I would rock him back to sleep and then...SPLAT! He would spit up everything. This went on for a couple of weeks. He had a well-check coming up, so I asked his wonderful pediatrician what could be going on. Doc said Jacob wasn't waking up because he was hungry; rather, he was waking up out of habit. He also said babies usually adapt to a new change/schedule in about 3-4 days. So he suggested that for a few nights in a row when Jacob wakes up I should just let him cry. THAT WAS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER DONE! 3 nights did the trick. Jacob sleeps wonderfully through the night now. And mommy likes sleeping through the night, too :) I had forgotten how amazing it felt to wake up feeling well-rested.

    Recently, I was going through Jacob's box of newborn keep-sakes. I found his hat that he wore the day he was born. and his little white hospital robe that ties on the side. These things are tiny and definitely cute...but not as tiny as the newborn size diaper I saved! Until I saw that, I don't think it had really hit me how much my Baby had grown! I went to the living room and held it up for James to see. "Did Jacob ever fit in that?" He said, "It's so tiny!" Yes! He wore that size for one whole month! And then size 1 for a month. Followed by size 2 for a month, and then 3! How many sizes do they make anyway? :-)




    So my Baby's growing up. And ready or not, here he comes! He's not quite crawling yet, but he's mastered the army crawl. And when he's standing up against the couch or at a toy, he takes steps! Sometimes we wonder if he'll learn to walk before he learns to crawl :)




    One weird & exciting thing is getting used to seeing teeth in Jacob's smile! He has 3 teeth on the bottom and his top front 4 teeth look like they're going to come through at any time...maybe tomorrow!













 

1 comment:

  1. You and James make cute babies!! He is going to be a little heart breaker when he gets older!! :) I love the picture of him looking up over the huggies box! He's so adorable!!

    ReplyDelete