Sunday, August 14, 2011

Happily Ever After

    One thing kind of neat about the family I married into is that pretty much everyone lives around the St. Louis area. They're involved in each others lives, attend each others events/get together's, and are always up for BBQing or having a party at the local clubhouse. Even though I still don't know many of them very well, I feel like they accept me for who I am and I don't have to try and be someone I'm not around them.
    I often wonder what causes some families to stick together while others hardly visit one another and aren't involved in each others lives. My [immediate] family is the exact opposite of my husbands. I hardly remember seeing my relatives unless it was over a holiday, wedding, or funeral. When I would see them sometimes I felt like I was hugging people I barely knew. I know we're related and all, but when you hardly see each other or know anything about their lives it feels awkward. Like we're not even related. I wish I knew so many of my Aunts, Uncles, and Cousins better. They're people, related to me. Who are they? What are they like? What do they enjoy doing? What are their hobbies? Do they like to dance? Sing?
    I got to see all of my relatives on my Dad's side this past weekend for my cousin Brenda's wedding.  And all of these questions were running through my mind. I wish we had more than one short evening with them. To visit and really find out who they are. Oh, how I wish it could've been a weekend ordeal.
    I also wonder what they think of me. Do they think I'm weird because we never lived around the rest of the relatives? Do they understand why? I have no idea. I don't even understand why myself. So am I judged for decisions that weren't even mine to make? I certainly don't judge them. I eagerly soak up every opportunity and conversation I can to learn more about my relatives. Because I know they're people with a story and interests, just like me.
    Here are some photos from this past weekend. My cousin Brenda married the best person in the world for her, Michael. My first time meeting Michael was just before the wedding; I was chasing Jacob down a hallway of the church. You know what he said to me when I approached him with congratulations? He said, "You must be Katie! And he's Jacob!" He told me how Brenda showed him pictures of relatives and he remembered who we were. What a warm welcoming!


Brenda & Michael Obilade!
August 13, 2011


Grandma Kit-Kat (Cichon)


This is my youngest sister, Julie.


The one with the long hair is my cousin Shawn. We haven't had a chance to get to know each other very well, but he seems like a great guy :)


My Dad with his arm around his brother, Uncle Mike a.k.a. Father of the Bride!


Our sweet Jacob, ready to eat! So proud of him, he's learning how to use a fork already!


Brenda & Michael's gift to everyone was so sweet...
a soundtrack with songs that were played during their wedding 
ceremony & reception.


Sister shot
Me (25), Sharon (22), Julie (17), & Lisa (27)


This is my cousin Doug and his girlfriend Sara.
a.k.a. Brother of the Bride! 


I don't want to point out favorites or anything, but Jacob LOVES hanging out with his Aunt Lisa :)


Cutting of the cake! They are so sweet together. I just loved watching them throughout the evening.




Mom, Sharon, Julie, Lisa, Jacob, Me


Me & my wonderful Grandmother


My cousin Joey & Grandma Cichon


Sister Julie caught the boquet! Hmmm....


This beautiful couple just had their 28th wedding anniversary this summer!
Meet my parents.


Me & my handsome Husband. We just celebrated our 2nd anniversary with a little get-a-way to St. Louis; exploring places we hadn't been to together before. 


My Dad & another Brother, Uncle Bill


My Cousin Mary & Jacob. It was SO nice to see her! I couldn't remember the last time we had seen each other. Wish we could've talked more :)


Brenda & Michael, center stage, doing a dance off!


Cousin Doug & Cousin Emily's boyfriend, Jeff, having a good time.


Cousin Emily & boyfriend Jeff
They know how to have a fun time!


Aunt Lisa dancing with Jacob.


Dad & his Mama :)


Dad, Grandma, & Uncle Bill


Family Picture!
Joey, Mary, Aunt Kathy, & Emily


Family Picture!
Uncle Dan, Aunt Lottie, Frank, Crystal, Mark


My cousin Mark married this beautiful woman, Heidi, just a few weeks ago!


Heidi is so sweet; loved talking with her! I hope they have many happy years to come.


Bothers
Uncle Bill & Uncle Mike


Extended Family Photo
My Aunt Pam (mother of the bride) is on the far left.
This is a photo of her side of the family. 




Brenda & Michael with Brenda's Grandma, my Aunt Pam's mother.


Me & James :)
This is the dress I made!


So glad I got a picture with my Baby! I'm always snapping ones of him, we hardly end up in one together!


Brenda & her Daddy. Uncle Mike must be so proud of her.


Uncle Mike & the beautiful newlyweds.


5 comments:

  1. Katie!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your dress! It is so cute! You are so talented! You look great by the way!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Remember when we were little, and you, Crystal, and I used to have like weekend/week long sleep overs? Now, Crystals out in Virginia, and I think I went about 5 years without even seeing her much less having a real conversation until I decided to make a trip out to see her a few summers back. But what I always find amazing is that even with that being the case, I still can find myself having good conversations and feeling connected when I do get the chance to see any of the cousins. But we do need to find some time to catch up and spend some time together soon. Give me a call or a facebook message sometime, and we'll make arrangements to meet up.

    Much Love,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Emily! It was fun to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda, I had forgotten about those sleep overs! I agree, it is nice to be able to have great conversations even if we don't see each other often. Will you & Mike be living in the same town you got married in? It wasn't too far from here! If you're ever in the STL area, or vice versa, I'd love to hang out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup, we're living in the same town here :-). So it shouldn't be too far of a drive. I know that the next couple weeks are going to be a little busy for us with the school year starting, winding down from the wedding, and prepping for licensing exams, but we'd love to have you and your family come over, or come visit you guys. I'll be sure to facebook you as soon as our schedule normalifies a little bit :-D. Of course, if there's ever a reason you're up in our area, PLEASE give me a call and we can meet up.

    ReplyDelete